Pages

Monday 9 February 2009

birthday books

Well it was my birthday last week and I received two fantastic books as presents.



The first was Old Rare New - The Independent Record Shop published by black dog publishing, ISBN: 978 1 906155 32 2
which features a whole host of interviews and articles by the likes of Bob Stanley, James Lavelle, Devendra Banhart and Gerald Jazzman about diggin' and the culture of the, sadly disappearing, independent record shop. My favourite independent of all time is still King Bee records in Chorlton, Manchester. I've picked up some fantastic tunes there and not for silly money.



The second was from my partner Gill, "Quaker School Samplers from Ackworth" by Carol Humphrey, published by Needleprint. ISBN: 0-9552086-1-0
I must try to meet up with Carol one day, as she is a font of knowledge about all things samplers. I've seen and read about a couple of the Ackworth school samplers, so it'll be great to study them some more, and see whether thy might link into the sampler project.

A huge thank you to Gill, and both Faye and Sian at LPT for the very generous presents - perfect :) I'll post any gems that I pick out of the books.

No comments: